Monday, August 25

No strings attached...

I love this pic... Simple, geometric, beautiful. Thank you Deepa Mistry!

The best part of being a musician, or even playing music is that there are no strings attached(metaphorically speaking).

I picked up my bass today after 3 weeks of shameless ignorance, due to the wear and tear I had to go through because of the daily grind. She forgave me, and we lifted off right where we last left off. No awkward silences, no uneasy situations, no reasons and explanations. Just the wonderful amalgamation of tones and silence. Nothing to express but emotion. It is funny how even the most awkward tonal changes seem to make sense as you start getting better, and as you start getting better, that is the last thing on your mind that you'd care about. How good or bad you are...

It's nice. That selfless connection one shares with his strings.., they don't care about who we care, they dont complain, they don't ask for any more or less than we can give them... And yet here I am, playing away... Nothing seems to matter in those five minutes of musical glory that I lock myself in... In those 5 minutes, I am immortal, i am free, i see new dimensions, new sides to the same old coin... I am exposed to the world beyond this world, exposed to the first step on the stairway that leads to heaven, a state of spiritual bliss that I cannot express here. I don't need to. Music is not something that can be described in words, not something that can be expressed or explained. It can only be experienced, felt, drifted away in. It is not about how good or bad you are, not about how great you look or how wonderful and expensive your instrument is. It was and never will be that. It is all about the music. It is about what you choose to express, and how well you express it.

So...


What have you expressed lately?